What You Can Do About Elder Abuse and Exploitation

The decision to place an elderly loved one in a nursing home or to hire a home health aide can be a stressful and difficult decision for the entire family. Unfortunately, sometimes these feelings are validated because the facility or home care agency fails to offer a safe, caring environment for the resident/patient. If you discover your loved one has been mistreated and has suffered an injury as a result of elder abuse or exploitation, you should consult with an attorney to explore how to protect your family member and hold those responsible for their actions.

The Connecticut elder abuse lawyers at the Baker Law Firm, P.C., bring focused and compassionate attention when it comes to handling these types of cases. We seek justice and a fair result for families who have had their trust breached by a long-term care facility or an individual who has taken advantage of a vulnerable loved one. If you need to report this type of incident and would like to explore your legal rights and remedies by speaking with a knowledgeable attorney, call us at 203-885-1344.

We offer assistance handling elder abuse, neglect and exploitation claims involving:

  • Failure to provide adequate wound care resulting in infection
  • Ulcers and bedsores
  • Slip-and-falls resulting in extensive bruising, fractures, broken hips, knees, head trauma
  • Malnutrition and dehydration
  • Inadequate staffing and supervision leading to wandering, subsequent injuries
  • Sexual abuse, physical abuse by staff or fellow residents
  • Mental abuse
  • Misappropriation of finances by facility employees or a company that has solicited an elderly loved one
  • Failure by a guardian or conservator to adequately fulfill responsibilities or fiduciary duties
  • Any clear violation of the Connecticut Patient Bill of Rights

Our goal is to negotiate with the assisted living facility to bring about an amicable and peaceful resolution to the matter that spares the injured loved one any additional stress or embarrassment. We are here to help you achieve justice and help your loved one reclaim his or her dignity.

If necessary, we will also help you negotiate a transfer to a new facility or have a guardian or conservator appointed who will carefully monitor your loved one's care. You may have this representative put in charge of the finances and other matters for your family member, so a neutral, third party is in charge of overseeing decisions and protecting a loved one's assets.

Need an Attorney Who Knows How to Handle a Nursing Home Abuse Claim?

Contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your needs and concerns if you believe your elderly loved one has been, or is being, mistreated. We are here to help you protect your loved one and put a stop to this type of wrongdoing.